July 7, 1977

July 7, 1977
A Shelter from the storm

These are the days

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Our Handsome Son The Principal of Lincoln Academy


Mr. Jacob Hunt Director
During my two years as a teacher at Lincoln I have grown to relish the philosophy and atmosphere of our school. The best thing about teaching is watching as children come to enjoy learning. My favorite moments are when I see the look on a student's face change from confusion to excitement at the acquisition of new knowledge. With this new opportunity to be the director, my vision is for every student to have a quality educational experience at Lincoln. I expect students to have hands-on activities where they experience science and social studies. I expect them to be challenged by our Math and Language Arts programs. I expect them to have fun, play, and grow together. I look forward to getting to know the students, parents, and families of Lincoln better. I was born and raised in Lehi, Utah where I enjoyed sports, academic achievement, and family time. My love of sports took me to Dixie State College where I played football for two years. I was an All-Conference athlete as well as an Academic All-American student-athlete. I discovered many things while attending Dixie. I discovered my propensity for leadership. For three years I served as an Ambassador for Dixie State College where I worked closely with school administration to recruit new students and with the student government to increase school support. During my sophomore and junior years I served as Vice-President and then President of the Ambassador club. I spent my last year in college as the Student Body President of Dixie State College. As Student Body President I increased student participation, introduced service learning into the school, oversaw all student activities, and represented students views to the board of trustees. I discovered my love for teaching. I originally wanted to be a doctor. However when I took an introduction to elementary education class (hoping to meet single girls), I fell in love with teaching and working with young people. I changed direction, was named Elementary Education Student of the Year, and graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education. My first job in education was teaching 5th grade at East elementary in St. George. I discovered the love of my life as I was watering tropical plants after school as a part-time job for my friend's company. She was a beautiful aide at a physical therapy treatment center, and I was the water boy. We dated, fell in love, and were married. She is the best thing that has happened to me in my life. We came home to Utah County to start our lives together. I discovered Lincoln Academy on a Saturday morning in an American Fork park. I was immediately attracted to the people, facility, philosophy, parental support, and atmosphere Lincoln offered. As I taught, I tried to make subjects come alive. My classroom was a miniature city, complete with jobs, checks, insurance agents, city council, banks, and advertising agencies. We used pudding, cookies, and Jell-O to demonstrate plate tectonics. I had students sort beans to loud factory sounds, experience the fear of coming to a new country not knowing the language, and create their own Egyptian sarcophagus. Additionally, during this time, I acted as the Elementary Department Head and Curriculum Director. Shortly after beginning my employment at Lincoln, I began working on my Masters in Educational Administration which has provided me with a broad educational knowledge and practical experience. As director, I see Lincoln as a safe, friendly, supportive school. I am amazed at the amount of support parents provide. I see the education of a student as a team effort. Parents, teachers, and the student work together in this educational endeavor to create something brilliant. It is an exciting time to be a part of Lincoln Academy. hunt@lincoln-academy.org

No comments: